Suited for VitaClay Models VF7700 and VM7900 series. Image Courtesy of "Savvy Saving Couples".
Chicken drumsticks and thighs are my go-to dinners. I make them at least once a week. I can buy them cheaply (even for organic!) and I personally love dark meat chicken anyway.
As an added bonus, save the bones to make bone broth. It’s a win-win!
The original Guy Fieri recipe was for grilled chicken, which is also great, but sometimes it’s just not practical to go outside to cook dinner. So on those days, VitaClay comes to the rescue with amazing adaptations like this one.
Make it tonight! Your whole family will thank you.
- 2 lbs chicken thighs and drumsticks, bone in, skin on
- 1 c broth
- 1 ½ c mango, peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
- ¾ c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 T unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 T coconut oil (melted)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, plus 1 T adobo sauce
- 2 t salt
- 1 t freshly cracked black pepper
- Puree the mango, cilantro, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, chipotle, salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
- Marinate: Add the chicken with half of the chipotle-mango sauce to a resealable plastic bag, and massage to coat the chicken with the sauce. Refrigerate at least 6 hours to marinate.
- Put the other half of the chipotle-mango sauce into VitaClay and heat up on “warm” until thick, stirring often, about 15 minutes (can also be done in a saucepan over the stove).
- Set some of the simmered sauce aside to serve on the side, and baste the chicken every few minutes with the rest of the sauce.
- Add marinated chicken with broth to VitaClay pot.
- Close, seal and cook on “stew” for about 45 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve with the reserved chipotle-mango sauce.