Follow our easy Do’s and Don’ts for superior results and to properly care for your clay pot.
- DO use cooker with adequate liquid so the food and the pot will not burn. Most food takes less than 2 hours to cook. For first time pot use, DO check-in at halfway point to make sure there is ample liquid.
- Do ADD WARM liquid only while food is cooking or pot is hot when additional liquid is needed. NEVER pour cold liquid into a hot pot.
- DO place hot pot on a non-metal pot-holder or dry cloth. DO NOT put hot pot on a cold counter or any cold surface including the sink.
- DO NOT cook easy to burn foods like milk, cheese, tomatoes, roll-cut and quick oatmeal without enough liquid or for too long. Use proper setting. See chart.
- DO cook roll-cut or quick oatmeal on Slow-Stew setting (NOT RICE SETTING) for 30 minutes or less.
- DO cook steel-cut oatmeal or oat groats on "soup" setting for 1 hour. Add 8 cups of water per 1 cup of steel-cut oatmeal or groats.
- DO NOT cook, steam or fry ANY foods dry---without liquid in pot;
DO NOT dry heat the cooker;
- DO add 1 cup of water or liquid per 15-minute increment on slow-cooking setting. For example, if slow cooking for 1 hour, add minimum liquid of 4 cups, (2 hours cooking needs 8 cups of liquid) unless the food itself produces enough liquid. First time cooking always try to have more liquid until you get a feel of the cooker then adjust the liquid volume accordingly. Note: The amount of liquid required for VitaClay cooking is similar to stove-top cooking.
- DO NOT dry heat to cook to bake or to stir fry foods.
- DO adapt crock pot recipes using VitaClay’s timing conversion formula for perfect results and to avoid burnt food or a cracking your pot. CONVERSION FORMULA -- 8 hours in crock pot LOW (or 4 hours on HIGH) converts to 2 hours in The VitaClay cooker.
- DO NOT overcook bone broth or meat soups. Chicken broth takes about 2 hours. Beef bone broth takes approx 3-4 hours. To release gelatin and extract minerals from bones, we recommend cooking for appropriate time plus allow pot to stay on WARM for additional 2-12 hours. With Vitaclay 2-4 hours at the most is necessary to achieve the same nutritional values and texture. DO NOT cook or boil for 24 hours.
- Do account for High Elevation More than 5K miles in altitude may effect rice cooking and boiling time.