I sampled this dish in a small village in the Canary Islands (Spain) and truly enjoyed all the different flavors. I especially loved the almonds that mark this dish, which harkens to medieval Spanish cuisine. Ingredients for Chicken Fricassee
In food processor:
- 1 whole large roasting chicken, cut up in parts
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8oz mushrooms, chopped (optional)
Directions for Chicken Fricassee
- 1 cup almonds (first sautéed in garlic and olive oil)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Sherry wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 egg yolks, hard-boiled
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron, diluted & crushed in 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 slices cured Spanish ham (Jamon Serrano), chopped
- A handful of parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Slivered almonds (for garnish)
- Brown the chicken pieces with the onions in olive oil, in large hot skillet.
- Remove the chicken and onion, transfer to VitaClay® Pot.
- Meanwhile, sauté the almonds and garlic in a little olive oil, then remove and grind into a paste using the food processor with all other ingredients, except parsley, chopped ham and slivered almonds. Add entire mixture to the pot. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on the “ Stew”setting for about 2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Finally, add the chopped ham to the pot and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Garnish with extra chopped parsley and some slivered almonds and serve with saffron rice.
Makes 6 servings.
Almonds can be part of a healthy diet. Although they are high in fat. Studies have shown that people who eat nuts on a regular basis have a lower risk of heart attack or death from coronary artery disease.
Almonds also contain significant amounts of fiber, vitamin E, folate, calcium and other vitamins and minerals.