When pumpkins are in season, nothing taste better than pumpkin soup. This soothing soup with a hint of curry, ginger and lime juice is equally delicious served warm, at room temperature, or well chilled.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Soup with Lime Drizzle
- 1 apple - peeled, cored and chopped 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can of solid pumpkin puree or fresh pumpkin pulp
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice and 1 tablespoon lime zest
Directions for Pumpkin Soup with Lime Drizzle
- In VitaClayTM pot, combine the first seven ingredients; mix well.
- Cover and set on Slow Cooking-Stew for 2 to 2 -1/2 hours or until pumpkin and apples are tender. Puree with hand blender if smooth consistency is desired.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat cook the lime juice and grated ginger together for 2 minutes. Strain into medium bowl, discard the ginger and whisk the remaining liquid with the sour cream.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Put the lime-sour cream mixture into a squeeze bottle and decorate the bowls of soup by drizzling designs on top.
- Sprinkle with lime zest.
Makes 6 servings.
Ginger has many medicinal properties such as, anti-depressant, anti-diarrheal and strong antioxidant activity. High in anti-cancer activity.
Pumpkin is extremely high in beta-carotene, the antioxidant reputed to help ward off numerous health problems, including heart attacks, cancer, cataracts.