You can never have enough of pork dishes - they just seem to arouse something in me and I bet they do the same to you. Here another paleo slow cooked pork shanks recipe to satisfy your taste buds.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lemons , zest and juice (divided)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 – 1 ½ tablespoon coconut oil or ghee (divided)
- 3 lbs bone in pork shanks (at least 9)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cups mushrooms , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 table fresh oregano leaves , minced
- 14 oz chopped tomatoes
- ¾ cup chicken or pork stock (unsalted)
- 2 table fresh basil leaves, chopped finely
- Start by patting the pork sharks dry using a paper towel.
- In a large skillet add ½ tbl of coconut or ghee and heat over medium heat. Make half the pork shanks golden brown this can be achieved on either side in 8 minutes and set them aside.
- Repeat step 2 with the remaining pork shanks and also set aside with the others.
- If need be, add ½ tbl of coconut oil or ghee and add the onions carrots, garlic to the main pan and soften this can take about 5 minutes.
- Then add the onion mixture to the bottom of the VitaClay slow cooker and nestle the pork shanks on top.
- Return the skillet to the stove over low heat and use juice from the 1 lemon to deglaze the pan. Any dripping will be added to the slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms, basil, and oregano, and thyme, salt and lemon zest to the slow cooker.
- Pour over the chopped tomatoes and stock and cook for 1 hour.
- When ready remove all the pork shanks and set them aside and cover them to remain warm.
- Take all the cooking liquid and half the vegetables and them to a blender. Then add the remaining lemon juice and pure until completely smooth. Make sure to check the seasoning make any additions of salt if need be.
- Return the vegetable puree to the slow cooker, stir the remaining vegetables through the sauce and add the pork shanks and cook for a further 30mins to 2 hours.