This is a recipe for those who love pork. Keep reading and thank us later!
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 table spoons of cooking fat or lard
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 cups of chopped ripe tomato with its juices or 28 oz of diced tomato
- 3 -4 lbs pork
- ½ teaspoons saffron
- ¼ cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 table spoon fresh chives
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 table spoon of arrow root starch
- ¼ cup of full fat coconut starch
- 1 cup of broth from the slow cooker
- 2 tablespoons of ghee or olive oil
To prepare the sauce:
- Start by crushing the saffron in a heat proof cup.
- Add hot water to the crushed saffron threads to make saffron tea and set aside.
- In another bowl combine all dry spice i.e. paprika red pepper flakes, coriander, cumin and Oregano. And when done cut the pork into large 3 ounce pieces.
- On medium heat, heat a skillet and add cooking fat.
- Add the pork pieces and sear the edges until they turn golden brown.
- Remove the pork and transfer to the VitaClay slow cooker crock pot but leave behind the oil in the skillet.
- Add onions, garlic, and the dry spice mixture to the skillet and cook for 3 -5 minutes until all the onions are translucent. But in case the skillet is dry add some liquid from the tomatoes or cooking fat.
- Remove the skillet from heat and transfer contents to the slow cooker crock port. Add tomatoes to the empty skillet to deglaze the bits from the pan and transfer all contents to the crock pot.
- You can now add the saffron tea, parsley, salt and chives to the crock pot and mix.
- When done, add enough water and cook on low for 2 hours (depending on what time you have on your hands)
- Remove at least 1 cup of broth and juices from the slow cooker.
- Mix the broth with ghee and coconut milk in a saucepan.
- On medium heat, heat for about 5 - 7 minutes and sauce is reduced.
- remove from the heat and add arrow root starch, whisk until dissolved and it will be ready to serve