This recipe is suitable for all VitaClay models!
I love to find new twists on old favorites. This “white chili” recipe not only looks different, but it has more of a Tex-Mex flavor and spice that really changes things up. This is a great dish to use for a party or it may just become a family favorite.
It will certainly be a favorite of yours, once you realize how easy it is to make with VitaClay, and how great everything tastes when it’s cooked in clay! Let us know what you think!
- 2 T coconut oil or other healthy fat
- 2 lb of your favorite sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb white beans: soaked, cooked & drained
- 1.5 c salsa
- 3-4 c broth (make your own--see recipe below!)
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 c corn kernels (get organic to avoid GMO contamination)
- 2 T hot peppers (whatever spice level you can handle), finely chopped
- 1 t ground cumin
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t ground black pepper
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
- shredded cheese, cilantro and chopped green onions for garnish
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet and sauté the onions and sliced sausage until onions are tender. (Note: this step can be skipped and everything will taste just fine if you just throw it all in the clay pot raw).
- Add the onions & sausage along with the cooked beans and all remaining ingredients to the VitaClay cooker. Cover, seal and set to “stew,” cooking 1-2 hours.
- Keep it warm in the clay pot until you’re ready to serve.
- Garnish with shredded cheese, cilantro and chopped green onions and serve with chips or bread.
Here's the recipe for bone broth promised above:
Photography Credit: Elise Bauer