The clay lends a very nice texture to the beef and the shallots, so they are not mushy like in some slow cooking recipes, and the flavor and nutrients are retained as well!
And because it does contain bone broth, it is a very nutritious stew as well! Let us know what you think of this unique dish!
Ingredients for Red Wine Beef Shallot Stew:
- 4 lb grass-fed beef stew meat, cut into 3" chunks
- 5 C broth
1bottle dry red wine
1½ lb whole shallots, peeled
- Sprinkling of turmeric powder, because I add it to everything
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 t sea salt
1t ground black pepper
Directions for Red Wine Beef Shallot Stew:
- Add all ingredients into the VitaClay pot
- (If you prefer to sear/brown the stew meat prior to slow cooking, feel free: just cook stew meat in a hot cast iron skillet with tallow for 5-10 minutes, browning all sides evenly)
- Close and cook on "fast" setting for 1-2 hours
- Serve over rice, potatoes or other grain, or just with a side of crusty sourdough bread