I love sweet potatoes, but it can get old just eating them the same old way every time (usually baked with butter, coconut oil, real salt and cinnamon).
So here's a great curried sweet potato recipe to mix it up on those "lighter" nights. It can even be served as a side dish to a bigger meal (hopefully mid-day)!
Ingredients for Curried Sweet Potato Lentils with Chard:
- 2 lb sweet potatoes (orange inside), peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 ½ c soaked lentils
- 4-5 c broth
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1”) piece ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1 ½ t curry powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional, for heat)
- 1 ½ t garam masala
- 1 lb swiss chard, center ribs removed, leaves sliced thinly
- 1 t sea salt (and more to taste)
- black pepper, to taste
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 c chopped cilantro (fresh)
- juice of ½ lime
- ¼ c chopped scallions (garnish)
Directions for Curried Sweet Potato Lentils with Chard:
- Add all ingredients except chard leaves, cilantro, lime zest and juice, and scallions to clay pot, then stir to incorporate all ingredients
- Cover, seal and cook on “stew” setting for 30 minutes
- If it looks at all dry, stir in more broth
- Stir in chard and cook another 30 minutes, sealed
- Stir in chard and salt and pepper, and continue cooking until lentils are tender and chard is cooked, about 30 to 45 minutes total.
- Just before serving, stir in the lime zest and juice and cilantro. Sprinkle with scallions.