This is a delicious stew packed with hearty and protein rich ingredients. Serve with aside of Quinoa or Polenta to complete the meal - makes a great vegetarian holiday side dish! Feeds about 6-8 hungry mouths.
- 1 ounce mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 2 large eggplants
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sweet onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, rinsed, soaked and drained
- 2 14oz cans tomato, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400' F
- Peel the eggplant and cut in half lengthwise. Brush the cut sides with 2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place on a sided baking sheet cut side down and roast @ 400'F for 25 minutes. Let cool and cut into 1-inch cubes then transfer to your 8 cup VitaClay cooker.
- Meanwhile heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and add onions. Cook until soft.
- Add the garlic, oregano, cinnamon, salt, pepper, bay leaf, chickpeas and mushrooms and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the cooker and stir in the broth to combine all.
- Cover and cook on the "Stew" setting for about 2 hours until the chickpeas are tender. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the tomatoes and the parsley.