Barley and Veggies go well with each other (just go to any Whole Foods market!). But we hope you've thought of them being in the same soup. But for those who haven't, here's a great recipe for you!
- 6 cups clean water
- 2 garlic cloves( minced )
- 3 celery ribs ( thinly sliced)
- 1 small onion ( chopped)
- 2 cans vegetable broth
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and cubed)
- 1 ½ cups fresh baby carrot ( halved)
- 1 ½ cups frozen cut green beans
- 1 1/2cups frozen corn
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 ¾ teaspoons salt
- 1 can Italian diced tomatoes( un drained)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds ( crushed)
- In a VitaClay slow cooker combine sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, corn, onions, celery ribs garlic and green pepper.
- Stir in the water, broth, barley, bay leaves and seasonings. Using a lid cover and cook on low heat for approximately 2-6 hours this should be enough to make the vegetables and the barley soft.
- When done stir in the tomatoes, cover again and cook on high for 10- 20 minutes. Make sure it is heated through. You can now discard the bay leaf and serve.
Yield 12 servings