This is both a vegetarian and a heart-smart meal. Serve with some rustic breads or fresh salad.
Ingredients for Shitake Mushroom & Barley Soup
Directions for Shitake Mushroom & Barley Soup
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped 1onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried or fresh shitakemushrooms, sliced thin 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 carrot, sliced diagonally 1/2-inch thick
- 1 to 2 celery sticks, sliceddiagonally 1/2-inch thick 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sherry wine
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in VitaClayTM pot; stir to blend well.
- Cook, covered, set on Slow Cooking - soup for 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours or until mushrooms and barley, are tender.
- When soup is done, taste for seasonings and season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, stir in chopped parsley.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Shitake mushrooms possess important disease-preventing qualities and are low in fat, high in calcium, phosphorus, iron and other minerals.
They contain more vitamin B12 than milk or fish.They also contain no starch and are a great source of fiber and a low calorie food, making them an important component of a healthy diet.
Barley contains soluble fiber, which is the same kind of cholesterol-lowering fiber found in oats.