An aromatic vegetable stew that can serve as a sauce over pasta, rice or to accompany chicken, lamb and beef.
Ingredients for Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce
Directions for Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 lb eggplants, peeled and cut in1 inch cubes (optional)
- 1 red and green bell pepper, cut in small strips
- 1 carrot, chopped finely
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28) oz can stewed tomatoes or fresh roasted and peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 chili pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
- Kalamata or California olives for garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in VitaClay® Pot except olives, mix well to combine
- Cover and cook on the “Stew” setting for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve over your choice of pasta with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and top with some olives for garnish.
Yields about 6 servings.
Spaghetti sauce, including canned tomatoes and tomato paste contains Lycopene, a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants work by neutralizing free radicals that are formed when body cells burn oxygen for energy. Antioxidants also may help keep the immune system healthy and reduce the risk for cancer and other diseases.
Several studies suggest that consumption of foods rich in Lycopene is associated with a lower risk of prostate cancer and cardiovascular disease.