Ever wanted to prepare a regular Pinto beans recipe but found it hard to incorporate enough veggies into your meal? Never fear, this is the best time for you to try this mouth watering, slow cooker pinto beans stew with jalapeno-corn dumplings recipe. It is nutritious, delicious and fresh thanks to the lack of chemicals from the VitaClay slow cooker .
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound dry pinto beans, soaked
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of ground cumin
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- zest of 1line
- 2 tablespoons cold butter cut into cubes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh jalapeno fine chopped
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal, preferably whole grain
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup sliced radishes
- Drain the soaked beans. Combined the beans, water, onion, bell pepper, celery, corn, garlic, chili powder and cumin in VitaClay.
- Prepare the dumplings 30 minutes before finished. Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a medium
- Add butter and use a pastry blender, two knives or a fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal
- Add jalapeno and lime zest and toss to coat; buttermilk and stir to form dough
- After the stew has cooked stir in lime juice and salt.
- Using generous tablespoonfuls of dough drop 8 dumplings on top the stew.
- Cover and cook for about 15 minutes
- Serve each portion of stew topped with a dumpling
- Garnish with cilantro and radish.
Preparation time is 5-10 minutes with the Vitaclay slow cooker. We hope you enjoy this latest addition to the Vitaclay cookbook along with other slow cooker recipes that will warm your heart as well as your Vitaclay slow cooker. We hope that you continue choosing Vitaclay for your cooking and nutritional needs!