A thick Italian vegetable soup with beans and pasta or rice. It usually can contain any number of vegetables, whatever you have available or what is in season, but for authenticity, meat is never added.
Ingredients for Minestrone - Italian Soup
Directions for Minestrone - Italian Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped coarsely 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1/2 inch pieces 1 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 to 8 cups vegetable or chicken broth 1 (28 oz. can) crushed Italiantomatoes
- 2 (15 1/2) oz. cans kidney beans, drained 2 tsp. dried marjoram or oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste 1 cup rice or short pasta
- Add all ingredients except rice or pasta in VitaClayTM pot.
- Cover and cook on Slow Cooking - soup for 2 2.5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Add rice or pasta the last 20 minutes of cooking and stir to combine.
Makes 6 servings.
Celery has a mild diuretic effect. Contains eight different families of anti-cancer compounds. Many foods lose much of their nutritional value when cooked, celery does not.