Suitable for VitaClay VF7700 and VM7900 models. Image Courtesy of Budget Bytes
I periodically make a big batch of meatballs to freeze and have on hand for all kinds of dishes: Italian pasta, Asian soup noodles, or to throw in a stir-fry in a pinch. Italian meatballs are very hearty, filling and have a great flavor that is hard to beat.
Make these meatballs and cook them up in sauce in VitaClay—they’re great with teriyaki sauce as an appetizer at a pot luck or served in red sauce over spaghetti. No matter what you use them for, meatballs are always a go-to solution for a quick-easy meal!
Ingredients for Homemade Italian Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 T coconut oil or bacon grease
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ bunch fresh chopped parsley
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 t real salt
- 1 t ground black pepper
- 1 t dried Italian herb seasoning
- ½ t red pepper flakes
- 2 T Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ c milk
- 1/3 c bread crumbs
- 1 c Red (tomato-based) pasta sauce
- ½ c broth
Directions for Homemade Italian Meatballs
- Soak the bread crumbs in the milk for 20 minutes
- Using the oil, cook onions in a hot skillet until translucent, about 4-5 minutes
- In a large bowl, mix the beef and pork together thoroughly
- Fold onions, soaked bread crumb mixture and all of the other ingredients into the meat and mix well
- Cover and refrigerate to combine flavors (about 1 hour)
- Form the meat into balls using your hands. Meatballs can be large or small, but larger meatballs will require longer cooking times.
- Add meatballs to VitaClay pot with Italian red pasta sauce and broth.
- Close, seal and cook on “stew” for about 30 minutes.
- During cooking, stir meatballs a couple of times to ensure even cooking.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
- If you’d like to cook the past with the meatballs, add uncooked pasta and an additional cup of broth or water to the meatballs, stirring, about 20 minutes before cooking is completed.