Sometimes I’m just in the mood for something a little different. A little spicy, a little filling, a little Cajun. That’s when I whip up this super easy recipe that uses brain-and-body healthy black beans, yummy sausage (use your favorite and it will always be yummy!) and rice or pasta.
I’ve heard it said that rice and beans form a complete, perfect protein. That must be the reason this dish is so very satisfying. It has just the right amount of kick for me, but if you like it even spicier, grab a bottle of hot sauce. Let’s make dinner with VitaClay tonight!
- 1 to 2 lb smoked, Andouille or other sausage, sliced 1″
- About 3 lb cooked black beans, drained
- 1.5 c onions, chopped
- 1.5 c green pepper, chopped
- 1.5 c celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 t dried thyme
- 1.5 t dried oregano
- 1.5 t white pepper
- ¼ t black pepper
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
- 1 c broth
- 5 bay leaves
- About 8oz tomato sauce (jar, can or home-made)
- Cooked rice or pasta
- Brown sausage in a skillet over medium heat (optional)
- Drain oil and move to VitaClay pot
- Combine remaining ingredients in the clay pot
- Cover and seal, cook on “stew” setting 2 hours
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve over the cooked rice or pasta
- Serves 6 to 8.
- For a thicker or smoother consistency, use an immersion blender to puree some of the beans in the clay pot when they are about half way through the cooking process
- It is mild, so some may prefer a little hot sauce on the side