Short ribs are a delicious meal in themselves, but adding beans makes it even more filling and flavorful. This is a great recipe that combines the deliciousness of short ribs and barbecue with the health benefits and fiber of beans. It’s really like a complete meal, but it’s also great over rice, quinoa, mashed potatoes, or even biscuits! This dish is especially good re-heated, so make a lot and bring it to work for lunch!
- 1 lb white beans, soak overnight in warm water with an acidic medium; rinse and drain
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/8 t pepper
- 1 ½ lb beef short ribs
- 6 c water or broth
- 1 t salt
- 1 c barbecue sauce
- Place the soaked beans into the VitaClay pot.
- Add onion and pepper.
- Add the short ribs to the clay pot.
- Pour the water over the top and stir gently.
- Cover, seal and cook on stew setting for 2-3 hours.
- Remove short ribs from the crock pot and use to forks to shred the meat off the bones.
- Return the meat to the crock pot and discard the bones.
- Add barbecue sauce.
- Recover, turn the heat setting to high and continue cooking 30 minutes.
Serves about 8 For a thicker stew, reduce the liquid and stir in a bit of starch, like flour or tapioca (mix with warm water first, then stir in). For a beefier taste, use beef broth instead of water.