This stew is hearty and delicious, but since it uses lamb and garbanzo beans and a few unexpected spices, it really makes it a memorable and fun dish that is different.
It is great served over rice, but could also be served with crusty sourdough bread, or with a side of quinoa, pasta or couscous.
After all, variety is the best spice of all, isn't it?
Ingredients for Clay Lamb Garbanzo Bean Stew:
- 2 lb ground lamb (or mixed half with ground turkey)
- 4 cups broth
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1-2 small red bell peppers, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1t salt, or more to taste
- 8 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 lb cooked garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 5-6 t chili powder
- Several dashes of turmeric, because I add it to everything
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 2 T chopped fresh cilantro or mint
Directions for Clay Lamb Garbanzo Bean Stew:
- Add all of the ingredients except garbanzos to the clay pot (if garbanzos are uncooked they can be added now)
- Cover and cook on "fast" setting for 1 hour to 90 minutes
- Add garbanzo beans and cook another 10-20 minutes, covered
- Serve over grain of choice. Garnish with chopped parsley, cilantro or mint