Stew recipes are suited for all VitaClay models! When cooking in the Stock pot models (VM7800) for more than an hour, please monitor liquid levels to avoid excess evaporation and dry cooking, which may damage the pot.
This stew is hearty and delicious, but since it uses lamb and garbanzo beans and a few unexpected spices, it really makes it a memorable and fun dish that is different.
It is great served over rice, but could also be served with crusty sourdough bread, or with a side of quinoa, pasta or couscous.
After all, variety is the best spice of all, isn't it?
Ingredients for Clay Lamb Garbanzo Bean Stew:
- 2 lb ground lamb (or mixed half with ground turkey)
- 4-8 cups broth
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1-2 small red bell peppers, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1t salt, or more to taste
- 8 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 lb cooked garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 5-6 t chili powder
- Several dashes of turmeric, because I add it to everything
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 2 T chopped fresh cilantro or mint
Directions for Clay Lamb Garbanzo Bean Stew:
- Add all of the ingredients except garbanzos to the clay pot (if garbanzos are uncooked they can be added now)
- Cover and cook on "fast" setting for 1 hour to 90 minutes
- Add garbanzo beans and cook another 10-20 minutes, covered
- Serve over grain of choice. Garnish with chopped parsley, cilantro or mint