We can’t go one holiday meal without there being candied sweet potatoes at the table. This sweet, warm and gooey dish makes me feel like I'm cheating and having desert with my dinner. This recipe is an easy and tasty crowd pleaser so make it and share it with your friends and family at your next holiday meal or potluck. Many would call this dish Candies Yams but in fact yams are from a completely different root vegetable family. They take more time and effort to prepare because their skin is thick and hard to peel and they take a lot longer to cook.
With all this material, you’ll be able to feed 8-10 people. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup melted butter (can use vegan butter)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 pounds sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes/slices
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ bag of marshmallows
- 1 cup of water
- In a small bowl mix together the melted butter, vanilla and water. Add 1/3 of this mixture to your slow cooker.
- In another bowl combine your granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- In your Vitaclay slow cooker, layer the sweet potatoes and sugar mixture. Beginning with the potatoes and ending with the sugar. Pour the remaining butter mixture over the top.
- Cover and cook on the "soup" setting for 1 hour until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the potatoes using a slotted spoon and transfer to a serving dish. T
- Take out 1/3 cup of the liquid in the slow cooker and add 2 tablespoons of starch. Mix until smooth.
- Add the rest of the liquid from the slow cooker to the starch mixture to make the sauce. Whisk until smooth. Pour the sauce over the sweet potatoes and add a layer of marshmallows.
- To serve place the dish into a 350F oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until the marshmallow is lightly browned. Share and Enjoy.