This recipe is suitable for the following VitaClay models: VF7700, VM7900
Candied sweet potatoes, or candied yams, are one of those traditional comfort foods that you can usually find on the holiday dinner table.
Sweet potatoes and yams contain a dizzying array of vitamins, nutrients, fiber and are a great source of "good carbs." And with their sweet, substantial flavor, it almost feels like you're eating dessert with your holiday meal!
Try this amazing recipe for candied sweet potatoes or yams. If you're not making it for a holiday meal, it can also be a great snack or light meal that will satisfy your cravings and your appetite without any heaviness or processed junk.
This side dish will feed 8-10 people. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup melted butter (grass fed tastes best!)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt (the salt you usematters!)
- 1-2 cups coconut sugar ( like this one)
- 4 pounds sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes/slices
- 2 T cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- ½ bag of marshmallows ( optional)
- 1 cup of water
- In a small bowl mix together the melted butter, vanilla and water. Add 1/3 of this mixture to the VitaClay pot.
- In your Vitaclay pot, layer the sweet potatoes and coconut sugar. Beginning with the potatoes and ending with the sugar. Pour the remaining butter mixture over the top.
- Cover and cook on the "soup" setting for 30-45 minutes until the potatoes are tender, stirring once or twice during the cooking cycle.
- Remove the potatoes using a slotted spoon and transfer to a serving dish. T
- Take out 1/3 cup of the liquid in the slow cooker and add 2 tablespoons of starch. Mix until smooth.
- Add the rest of the liquid from the slow cooker to the starch mixture to make the sauce. Whisk until smooth. Pour the sauce over the sweet potatoes and add a layer of marshmallows.
- To serve place the dish into a 350F oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until the marshmallow is lightly browned. Share and Enjoy.