Anyone knows this? Bitter Melon. Bitter melon boasts a variety of essential vitamins and minerals needed for the smooth function of the body according to Dr. Mercola. Bitter melon is actually famous for its effects on obesity and diabetes. It’s extremely anti inflammatory food, improving blood sugar regulation and enhancing the immune system.
Here are two of recipes cooking with butter melon-
| Karela sabzi | Kakarakaya curry. We converted it to cook in VitaClay.
250 grams karela or bitter gourd
2 tbsps oil
½ tsp cumin / jeera
1 pinch asafoetida (optional)
1 green chilli slit (optional)
1 tsp saunf powder / fennel powder / sompu powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1 tbsp coriander powder
Salt as needed
1 onion , medium to large , chopped finely
1 sprig curry leaves
1 to 2 tbsps Lemon juice or as needed (I used half)
3 tbsps coriander leaves finely chopped
1/2 cup water or broth
Add all ingredients in your clay pot. Set on stew to cook for 20-30 minutes
Courtesy of indianhealthyrecipes.com
You may also try-
500 gram bitter melon (about 3 to 4)
200 gram ground pork
2 dried shiitake mushrooms.
1 tablespoon cornstarch, or tapioca starch
1 teaspoon soy sauce, try Pearl River Bridge light soy sauce
1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 clove garlic, minced
1 red chili (cayenne or Fresno), thinly sliced
1 tablespoon black bean sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 cup of dried shiitake soaking liquid/water
1 tablespoon cornstarch + 1/2 cup water
1. To prepare the stuffing, simply combine all the stuffing ingredients in a mixing bowl and left to marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Prepare bitter melons. Remove the ends from the bitter melon and cut into 1-inch slices. Remove the seeds with a spoon/knife to get bitter melon rounds. Sprinkle liberally with salt and let rest for 15 minutes. Wash under cold water and drain. Set aside.
3. To stuff the bitter melon, with a small teaspoon, stuff the bitter melon rounds with the stuffing mixture. Try to make the bottom part lay flat while the top part is shaped like a dome. Once you are done with stuffing all the bitter melons, transfer to your clay pot.
4. Add braising sauce in your vitaclay and mix well.
5. Set on stew to cook for 30 minutes.
Comments will be approved before showing up.