Suitable for VF7700 and VM7900 models with rice cooker functions.
Asian flavors are so unique and delicious, and at times I can be intimidated because I didn’t grow up with Asian food, so how could I make it properly?
I’ve been using miso for a long time. I have always loved miso soup at my favorite sushi restaurant, so when I saw a container of miso in an Asian store I had to make it myself! Often I’ll add a spoonful to a soup or noodle dish I am making, just to add a punch of salty umami flavor and nutrition. Miso is a fermented soy product, so try to get organic, but it’s a great healthy addition to soupy dishes.
I also love fish and usually make it at least once a week. Since fish pairs really well with rice I often steam it over rice in VitaClay because it is so easy and clean up is so quick and simple.
Try this fresh take on salmon tonight!
Ingredients for Miso Glazed Salmon Filets over Rice in VitaClay:
- 2-3 c rice of your choice, rinsed and drained (soak it in a previous batch of rice water if you can)
- 4-6 c water or broth—approximately 2:1 liquid:rice ratio. (broth adds great flavor and nutrition without extra effort)
- Assorted chopped veggies (optional—adds flavor and nutrition to the rice)
- A few dashes of turmeric (optional: adds a bright yellow color and antioxidant properties)
- 4-6 wild-caught salmon filets
- 4 T Yellow miso
- 3 T soy sauce or tamari
- 3 T rice vinegar
- 1 T Sesame oil
- 1-2 T chopped Scallions
- 1 T grated Ginger
- 1 T Mirin
- Sprinkle real salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Miso Glazed Salmon Filets over Rice in VitaClay:
- Add rice and water/broth along with optional veggies & spices into the clay pot.
- Close, seal and select appropriate “rice” option: brown or white
- As rice is cooking, stir all salmon marinade ingredients together, mixing well into a sauce
- Pour marinade to cover salmon filets and allow to marinade for at least 15 minutes.
- About 10 minutes before rice is finished (shown on the digital display) open VitaClay and add fish filets to the top of the rice.
- Close, seal and allow to finish cooking.
- After it beeps, don’t open it! Allow rice and fish to rest for about 15 minutes
- Rice and fish will both be steamed to perfection: serve with a garnish of chopped scallions.