Suitable for VitaClay Models: VS7600, VF7700, VM7900
Eggplant Parm is a fun, delicious Italian dish that has a unique flavor and texture. It's a great light meal for a Meatless Monday or other small dinner, or goes great with a side of veggies or soup.
You won't believe how easy it is to make this authentic dish in VitaClay without much prep work or time. This American-Italian dish is ready in less than an hour, start to finish.
- 2 eggs
- 4-8 eggplant (depending on size), peeled, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1/4 c broth or water
- 1 T salt
- 1/3 c seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- ½ c grated Parmesan cheese
- 32 oz. marinara sauce
- 16 oz. mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Put sliced eggplants in a large bowl in layers and sprinkle each layer with salt.
- Let the eggplants stand for 30 minutes, then drain, rinse and pat dry.
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Whisk eggs with water and flour until smooth.
- Transfer the eggplant slices in batches of 2-3 from the bowl and dip in batter and put in the heated skillet, fry in the oil until browned.
- Mix seasoned bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese in a separate bowl.
- Add the broth/water to the bottom of the clay pot, then place ¼ of the eggplant slices in, and top with ¼ of bread crumbs, ¼ of marinara sauce and ¼ of mozzarella cheese. Repeat the process three times to form 4 layers and cover.
- Close, seal and cook on "soup" or "low" for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Makes a great casserole-style Eggplant Parm that feeds 6-8 people, and is great as a left-over!