Seitan's meat-like nature is alluring for to many It is not only nutritious, but a satisfying meal when eaten with rice, veggies, or pasta. Most people miss out from the rich proteins in Seitan.
The truth is that, it is possible to prepare this 100 to 120 calories per 3-ounce per serving gluten in under 3 hours; 2.5 hours to be precise in addition to prepping time using a VitaClay slow cooker. Take advantage of the low calories, solid satisfying power and healthy protein in Seitan with this recipe. Simply follow the guidelines below. The VitaClay slow cooker will transform Seitan taste to a meaty flavor your family will love.
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2-inches
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- ½ cup soy sauce or tamari as desired
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 ½ quarts , 3 cups water
- 6 cups, whole wheat flour
- Put carrot, onion, garlic, bay leaves and tamari or soy sauce in your VitaClay slow cooker.
- Add 2 ½ quarts of water and cover your slow cooker.
- Pour the whole wheat flour in a large bowl. Add 3 cups of water.
- Combine the mixture until it is smooth. If desired results are not achieved, add more water until smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a flat and smooth surface and knead until smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Put back the dough in the bowl; add warm water to cover, for about 20 minutes.
- Position the bowl with the dough towards the sink; knead until the water turns white.
- Drain the liquid, cover with fresh water and knead until the water is clear.
- Add the smooth raw Seitan to your slow cooker, cover and let it cook.
- Once cooked, transfer the Seitan to a baking sheet and let it cool.
Serve and stock the rest in your refrigerator. If you do not have your slow cooker, follow the link below for details.