For those of us who are not from the South or not at the South at the moment, this meal is a great way to have that Louisiana taste at home. Jazz music is optional of course to transport you to “The Big Easy”.
- 4 6oz Kielbasa (or other) sausage, cut in 1/4″ slices
- 1 large fresh tomato, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 cup home-made or low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ T steak sauce
- 1 bay leaf or ½ t dried thyme
- ½ t sugar
- 1 t sea salt
- ¼ to ½ t hot pepper sauce
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- several sprigs chopped parsley
- Combine sausage, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, celery, salt, ½ cup of broth, steak sauce, bay leaves, sugar and hot pepper sauce in personal slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour
- Remove bay leaf; stir in rice and the rest of the broth.
- Cook on low for 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Stir in parsley if desired.