Shepherd’s pie is one of my favorite dishes. Something about the combo of beef, mashed potatoes and veggies creates a flavor blend like no other.
If you’ve never made this super-satisfying dish yourself before, you’ll be amazed just how easy it is. It’s similar to making lasagna—just layer up your ingredients and cook! Lots of different veggie combinations could work in this dish, and actually different meats or types of meat can be used as well. So every time you make it could potentially be a totally different dish!
But for now we’ll just start with traditional shepherd’s pie with a few veggies I prefer, and you can mix it up the way your family likes it.
- 2-3 lb cooked beef roast, shredded (cooked ground beef can work here as well)
- 1 c broth
- 2 c organic sweet corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 c green peas, fresh or frozen
- 3 chopped carrots
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2-3 c mashed potatoes, or enough to cover all of the other ingredients
- A few dashes of turmeric (because I add it to everything)
- Real Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Add the beef to the clay pot, and pour the broth over it
- Layer all of the veggies over the beef one at a time
- Sprinkle spices over the veggies
- Layer the mashed potatoes on top of everything until the veggies are completely covered and all you see are mashed potatoes
- Cover, seal and set to “slow cooking.”
- Cook for 1 hour
- It can sit on warm until ready to serve.
- Leftovers are delicious and easy to reheat right in the clay pot with the reheat button!