Fishermen of Italian and Portuguese descent created Cioppino in San Francisco. A hearty tomato based stew; redolent of garlic, herbs and rich with the days catch. Living in the San Francisco Bay area, I can guarantee you that it is perfectly good manners to dunk your sourdough bread in this irresistible dish, to soak up the broth and lick your fingers when finished.
Ingredients for San Francisco Fishermen’s Wharf Cioppino
Seafood to your choice or what is fresh and available:
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green and red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 4 cups chopped and peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh or canned tomato sauce
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 cups fish stock
- 1 cup fresh or bottled clam juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound firm-fleshed fish, cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ pound fresh scallops, preferably bay scallops
- 1 pound raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 dozen well-washed small clams in the shell
- ¼ cup shucked oysters with their liquid
- ½ pound lobster tail, cooked in the shell
- 1 hard-shell crab, cooked in the shell and cracked
- Add all ingredients to VitaClay® Pot except Fish and Seafood.
- Cover and and cook on the "Stew" setting for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the fish and continue cooking for 10 minutes, then add the rest of the seafood and continue cooking for 10 more minutes until seafood is done. NOTE: shrimp should be pink and the clams and mussels should have opened their shells.
- Serve Cioppino with authentic San Francisco Sourdough bread to make it a true San Francisco experience.
- Provide lots of napkins, since this can be a messy delight, due to cracking crab legs, scooping out mussels and clams. Enjoy with some fine California Chardonnay.
Yields about 6 servings
Research shows that seafood has higher levels of beneficial Omega-3 oils than many other food sources. The omega-3 fatty acids found in fish are thought to be the components of fish responsible for protection against cancers.
Eating fish afford some protection diabetes. Incorporating a fishmeal into a weight-loss regimen was effective at improving glucose and lowering high cholesterol.