Suitable for VitaClay Models VF7700, VM7900
Who doesn't like coming home to a house filled with the aroma of cinnamon and spices? Add the ingredients for this recipe to your VitaClay slow cooker in the morning, when you get home you will have roasted Cinnamon and Sugar apples ready for dessert! The delicious holiday smell will just be an added bonus!
This is a simple recipe to make roasted apples in your slow cooker, just like grandma used to make it, and it can easily be customized to fit your tastes, adding other spices or foods like lemon or orange zest.
- 4-5 Granny Smith apples
- 2 T dried cranberries
- 1/2 c coconut sugar
- 4 T butter
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/8 t allspice
- You can also add nuts (pecan, walnuts etc.)
- 1/2 c water
- In a bowl combine the sugars, cinnamon all spice and cranberries. Add the nuts at this time also. Mix well.
- Remove the apple cores and cut the tops off with the stems attached (reserve the tops).
- Add 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of your VitaClay slow cooker.
- Fill each apple with the sugar and spice mixture, packing it firmly.
- Place each apple in the cooker with space between each one.
- Top each apple with a pat of 1/2 a tablespoon butter.
- Cover and cook on the "Stew" setting for 30 minutes or until the apples are fork tender.
- Top with caramel sauce and chopped pecans or whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or a drizzle of maple syrup!
You can serve your apples for desert with a scoop of your favorite ice cream or for breakfast with oatmeal. You can even add this recipe to your Holiday desert menu, Enjoy!