Seitan’s meat-like nature is alluring for to many. It’s is not only nutritious, but a satisfying meal when eaten with rice, veggies, or pasta.
Truth is that, it is possible to prepare this 40 calorie per serving food in under 3 hours; 2.5 hours to be precise in addition to prepping time using a VitaClay slow cooker.
Take advantage of the low calories, solid satisfying power and healthy protein in Seitan with this recipe..
Ingredients for Slow-cooked Seitan Recipe
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2-inches
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- ½ cup soy sauce or tamari as desired
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 ½ quarts - 3 cups water
- 6 cups whole wheat flour
10-Step Direction for Seitan recipe
- Put carrot, onion, garlic, bay leaves and tamari or soy sauce in your VitaClay slow cooker.
- Add 2 ½ quarts of water and cover your slow cooker.
- Pour the whole wheat flour in a large bowl. Add 3 cups of water.
- Combine the mixture until it is smooth. If desired results are not achieved, add more water until smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a flat and smooth surface and knead until smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Put back the dough in the bowl; add warm water to cover, for about 20 minutes.
- Position the bowl with the dough towards the sink; knead until the water turns white.
- Drain the liquid, cover with fresh water and knead until the water is clear.
- Add the smooth raw Seitan to your slow cooker, cover and let it cook.
- Once cooked, transfer the Seitan to a baking sheet and let it cool.
Serve and enjoy!