For the lovers of pork you just got another pork dish to sample. Not only will you be assured of health benefits from the pork itself but you will also give your taste buds an awesome experience.
Total prep and cook time will be 2 hours 10 mins
- 1.5 lb pork shoulder
- Sea salt
- ¼ cup chicken broth (homemade)
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 slices quality beef (or pork bacon) chopped
- 1 medjool date, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ¼ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the chopped bacon; stir. Let a minute pass then add the onion and garlic and continue to sauté with bacon. While doing this reduce the heat to medium- low.
- When bacon is cooked and the onions are soft stir in the tomato paste. Remove the mixture from heat and stir in broth, apple cider vinegar and chopped date. When done add to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Meanwhile season the pork shoulder with sea salt and pepper. Return the pan on medium heat and add the pork shoulder. If reduced bacon grease add little fat of choice to sear the meat. Sear for 3minutes each side and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Mix the cinnamon, cumin, chili powder and sea salt together in a separate bowl and pour into the slow cooker. Stir the mixture well and place a lid on top.
- After 1-2 hours of cook time, take the meat is ready shred it and add a bit more broth if necessary before serving.
- Serve with roasted green beans or any vegetable you prefer (garnish with avocado and cilantro if you desire)
This recipe serves 3-4 people easily. We hope you enjoy this latest addition to the Vitaclay cookbook along with other slow cooker recipes that will warm your heart as well as your soul. We hope that you continue choosing Vitaclay for your cooking and nutritional needs!