Irish stew has a unique flavor, and the plentiful amount of vegetables, combined with broth and meat makes this dish satisfying enough to be a one-pot meal.
Like most stew, this Irish stew is great for left-overs; I love to make a big batch and portion it out during the week for lunches and dinners. Fast, easy, economical, healthy and delicious! This is one recipe the whole family will love!
- 2 lb stew lamb (cheaper cuts)
- ½-1 lb bacon
- 3 red onions, chopped
- 5 carrots, cut into chunks
- 6 potatoes, cut
- 4-6 cups bone broth (lamb or other broth)
- 1-2 c pearl barley
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 leek, washed and sliced
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients to the clay pot
- Close and set on "fast" setting for 2-3 hours
- Fish out bay leaves and thyme sprigs, then serve with crusty bread or over rice (or just by itself!)