Ribollita means 're-cooked' in Italy, and slow cooking is the secret of this hearty winter vegetable soup designed for wood stoves. There are many different recipes and you can use any vegetable to your choice, but most Tuscan recipes call for cavolo nero-blackleaf kale-the closest substitute being savoy cabbage-and cannellini-Tuscan white beans-the closest substitute being Great Northern beans.
In Tuscany, soup is often layered with slices of day old bread and cheese, which is always served with a cruet of extra virgin olive oil for seasoning.
Ingredients for Tuscan Ribolitta Soup
- 1 large onion, chopped, 2 garlic cloves, chopped,
- 1 carrot, sliced into half-inch rounds,
- 1 zucchini, sliced into half-inch rounds (optional),
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves or 1 tablespoon fresh, 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon fresh, 1 cup savoy cabbage, shredded and chopped (optional), 1 cup cavolo nero or kale (optional),
- 1 cup spinach, shredded and chopped,
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into one-half inch cubes, 1 cup hearty red wine, such as Chianti,
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock,
- 2 cups Tuscan white cannellini beans (soaked overnight, cooked and drained), one-half cup pureed and one-half cup whole,
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste,
- Left over fine cut meats such as chicken, turkey etc. (optional),
- 1 pound stale Italian bread, sliced(optional),
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese,
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, for serving.
Directions for Tuscan Ribolitta Soup
- Add first 12 ingredients to VitaClayTM pot, set on Slow Cooking-soup for 2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the tomato paste, beans, turkey, and beans the last 15 minutes.
- Optional: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 F. Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and lightly brush with the remaining oil.Bake until the bread is lightly roasted around the edges, about 10 minutes, set the toasted bread aside.
- Serve soup in deep soup bowls, including a piece of the crusty bread in each serving if desired, or just serve with some freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese.
- Pass extra virgin olive oil for drizzling.
Makes 6 servings.
Beans regulate blood sugar levels. An excellent food for diabetics.Linked to lower rates of certain cancers. Very high in fiber.
Cabbage contains numerous anti-cancers and antioxidant compounds and has anti-bacterial and anti-viral powers.