Pumpkin puree is delicious, filling and nutrient-dense. And the fresher it is, the more vitamins and minerals are available to boost your immune system! Pumpkin is not just for pies, either!
Make your own fresh pumpkin puree and use it in:
- Pumpkin soups
- Pumpkin pies
- Pumpkin pancakes
- Pumpkin breads
- Pumpkin bars
- pumpkin lattes
There are so many recipes using this amazing food online, and now that pumpkin season is in full swing, it's time to take advantage of the bounty! If you love pumpkin but want to get away from the canned stuff, try making your own pumpkin puree! Fresh is so much…fresher than canned, and the nutrients are more readily available. Plus it’s easy to do and then you can just keep it in the fridge and use it for a couple of weeks. Best of all, you can make it while you're busy doing something else. How, you ask?
Here’s an easy way to make pumpkin puree using VitaClay:
- Cut open the pumpkin and remove the seeds (save them later to toast--great source of magnesium!)
- If it’s a small pumpkin, just poke a few holes in the flesh from the outside.
- If it’s large, cut it into manageable pieces that will fit in the cooker
- Add about a cup of filtered water to the bottom of the pot
- Put the pumpkin (pieces) in the cooker, close it up and cook on “stew” for an hour, or until the flesh is very soft (you can scoop it out with a spoon)
- Let it cool, scoop out the flesh, and blend it in a blender
- Refrigerate and use in all of your pumpkin recipes!
Pumpkin is full of anti-oxidants and it’s a great warming fall food: make soups, dips, pancakes and lots of other things. You can even make milkshakes or add a dollop to your morning smoothie. The possibilities are endless!