This simple, nutritious, vegetable soup is scented with cumin and flavored with lemon and lemon zest. Great for leftovers, since it will taste even better the next day!
Ingredients for Egyptian Red Lentil Soup
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 jalapeno or chili pepper, deseeded and sliced 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled, left whole 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro or flat leaf parsley 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice and zest
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions for Egyptian Red Lentil Soup
- Add all ingredients to VitaClayTM pot except lemon juice and cilantro.
- Cover and set on Slow Cooking-soup for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- When lentils are soft, add lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Puree soup with hand blender, if you prefer a smooth consistency.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with cilantro or parsley, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Lentils are a high-protein legume, low in fat but rich in zinc, folicacid, and other important nutrients.
They're also high in fiber and quite mild-tasting, so they'll take on the flavor of whatever seasonings you use.
Lentils are the quickest-cooking bean out there, making it one of the most convenient to cook with.