I love that rice + beans = a complete protein, so I try to get this healthy combo into my meals on a regular basis. It does seem that I am often falling back on the same recipes over and over, though, so I like to find new recipes to (literally) spice up my old standby routine.
And of course my family likes to try something different every so often as well. That’s when I whip up this super easy recipe that uses brain-and-body healthy black beans, yummy sausage (use your favorite and it will always be yummy!) and rice.
If you’re tired of rice, you can always sub in quinoa or pasta. It has just the right amount of kick for me, but if you like it even spicier, grab a bottle of hot sauce. Let’s make dinner with VitaClay tonight!
- 1-2 lb your favorite sausage, in 1" pieces
- 2 c soaked and cooked red kidney beans
- 5 c cooked rice (uncooked is okay too, but you will need more broth)
- 1-2 red onions, chopped
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 t dried thyme (or 1 t fresh: chopped finely)
- 1.5 t dried oregano (or 1 t fresh: chopped finely)
- 1.5 t white pepper
- ¼ t black pepper
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
- 1-2 c broth (more broth for a more “wet” consistency)
- 5 bay leaves
- About 8 oz. tomato sauce (jar, can or home-made)
- Real Salt, to taste
- Brown sausage in a skillet over medium heat (optional)
- Drain oil and move to VitaClay pot
- Pour broth into clay pot, then combine remaining ingredients on top, mixing well
- Cover and seal, cook on “stew” setting 1 hour
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve immediately, or keep warm in the pot until dinnertime. Great as left-overs!