Yes you can prepare vegetarian Chinese food In your slow cooker. Actually using slow cookers are the perfect way to cook tofu; the slow cooking allows the flavors of the sauce to infuse the tofu for ultimate taste. Adding in all the veggies and serving over rice completes the meal in about 2 hours.
Plan ahead and put everything in your VitaClay slow cooker before leaving for work in the morning, set the delay timer and you will have dinner ready when you get home. Can’t get much easier than that!
- 1 package extra firm tofu (about 1 pound) 1/2 inch cubed
- 1 sweet onion minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon five spice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 stalks of broccoli chopped
- 2 zucchini chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts
- Cover tofu with paper towels and press lightly to remove any extra moisture.
- In a non-stick frying pan, brown the tofu on both sides. When done place in your slow cooker. This will prevent the tofu from getting mushy.
- Place the onion, garlic, ginger, tomato sauce, hoisin, vinegar, Worcestershire, soy, mustard, red pepper flakes, molasses, five spice, black pepper, veggie broth, and all your veggies (broccoli, zucchini, bell pepper and chestnuts) into your VitaClay slow cooker. Mix well to combine.
- Cover and cook on the “stew” setting for 2 hours. Vegetables should be tender when done.
- Serve over brown or white rice to complete the meal.