Do you like pies? They're a great dessert option, because there are so many different kinds, people love them, and they're really pretty easy to make. Slow cook your pie fillings in VitaClay’s clay pot! You don’t have to hover, stir and watch the pie filling, when you could be doing so many other things. And it’s just so easy.
Basically it’s the same process for whatever type of pie filling you want to use. Make a bunch and can or freeze it for future pies! Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Apples: these are the best candidates for pie filling made in VitaClay. VitaClay is also great for making pumpkin puree, which is the main ingredient in pumpkin pie filling!
Ingredients for Pie Filling Slow Cooked in Clay:
Directions for Pie Filling Slow Cooked in Clay:
- 3 cups fruit of choice (apples, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries…)
- 1 t lemon juice (fresh squeezed tastes best)
- 2/3 cup sugar (I love coconut sugar, and it adds a depth of flavor, not too “sweet”)
- 2 T non-GMO corn starch, arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
- 1/3 t Saigon cinnamon (optional for berry pies; experiment to find the sweet spot)
- 1/4 t salt
- ¼ t ground nutmeg (for apple)
- 2 cups water
- Toss fruit with lemon juice and set aside.
- Pour water into VitaClay pot, combining with sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt & nutmeg (if using)
- Set on “stew” mode for 30 minutes.
- Once it starts boiling, add the fruit.
- After it beeps, let it sit on “warm” for about 10 minutes
- Turn off cooker and allow to cool with the top open for 30 minutes.
- Fill pie crust and bake, or seal and freeze.